Quick and easy plant based tacos for the weekend or a week night. By crushing the chickpeas and cooking them, this allows the chickpeas to pick up all the flavors and spices added into this dish. This recipe is fast, easy and doesn't require any fancy ingredients. This recipe is for the chickpea taco filling. Choose your favorite toppings to go along with this recipe. I buy corn or whole wheat tortillas and add lettuce, tomatoes and avocado. As always, my recipes to get right to the point. No scrolling, pop-up ads or boring stories. Enjoy!
Chickpea Taco Filling
- 2 cans Chickpeas, drained and rinsed Could also cook dried chickpeas and use these
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1/2 Bell Pepper, color of choice
- 4 oz Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Lime, Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 tsp Molasses
- Taco shells of choice I like corn or whole wheat tortillas
- Toppings of choice Tomatoes, lettuce, avocado....
- Mash the chickpeas. Put the chickpeas into a bowl and mash them with a fork. This doesn't have to be perfect. Some chickpeas can be left intact.
- Heat skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, all of the spices and a couple tbsp of water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, until the onions have softened. Add water as needed to keep the mixture from getting too dry.
- Add the mashed chickpeas, lime juice and molasses. Stir until mixture is completely mixed.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for another 6-8 minutes, until mixture is heated through. If mixture is sticking or getting dry, add a few tbsp of water as needed.
- Put chickpea mixture into shells of choice and top with toppings of choice. Enjoy!