Vegan Meatless Loaf
This is not your mother’s meatloaf, this is not a lentil loaf… this is a meatless loaf. This is a perfect main dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays or any fall or winter night. It’s savory, it is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
This recipe is inspired by The Fat Free Vegan’s Thanksgiving Meatless Loaf. I made some adjustments to give it more of a savory flavor and to help keep it together so it doesn’t fall apart. This vegan meatless loaf has such great texture that you can slice it with a knife and the aroma of rosemary, sage and thyme will leave you ready to dig in as soon as it’s out of the oven.
This is a savory vegan meatless loaf that will work as a great main dish for any fall or winter holiday, or just a fall night. It works great when topped with this creamy vegan mushroom gravy.
Vegan Meatless Loaf
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 1 Medium White or Yellow Onion Minced
- 2 Medium Carrots Minced
- 2 Stalks Celery Minced
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Tbsp Poultry Seasoning
- 2 15 oz Cans Cannellini Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1 Tbsp Whole Ground Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Parsley Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Sage
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 3/4 Cup Walnuts Chopped
- 1-1 1/2 Cups Quick Rolled Oats
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and begin by washing your sweet potato, poking it with a fork 4-5 times, and cooking it in the microwave for 4-5 minutes, until soft. Set aside and allow to cool enough to peel.
- While the sweet potato is in the microwave, begin to mince your onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Heat skilled over medium high heat and add a little water to pan. Once water begins to sputter, add in the minced vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add in the poultry seasoning and cook for 5 more minutes, adding little bits of water as needed to keep vegetables from sticking to the pan.
- Remove vegetables from heat, put in large sized mixing bowl and add 1 can of drained and rinsed cannellini beans to the bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- Next, peel your sweet potato, chop into large pieces and put it in a high speed blender. (Can use a food processor if you don't have a high speed blender). Add soy sauce, the other can of drained and rinsed cannellini beans, the remaining seasonings and nutritional yeast. Blend until fairly smooth and then add in the walnuts. Pulse a few times to mix in the nuts and add the mixture to the large mixing bowl with your vegetable bean mixture and add in the oats, 1/2 cup at a time to reach desired texture and mix well.
- Place mixture in a large silicone loaf pan. If you don't have a silicone pan, line the pan with parchment or spray with a non-stick spray. Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan and shape it into a loaf. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is evenly browned. Loosely cover with foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Check to make sure center is firm, if not, bake for another 5-7 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven and all to cool completely, about 10 minutes, before serving.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with Mushroom Gravy on the side.