Not Your Grandma's Chickpea Noodle Soup
This is my meatless version of the classic Chicken Noodle Soup. This recipe is exactly what I want when I am craving classic familiar flavors, comfort food, or if I'm feeling a little under the weather.This plant based version of this comfort soup uses chickpeas instead of chicken. This is a recipe that you will find yourself making again and again.One ingredient that really makes this soup pop is the miso paste. You can find miso paste at most groceries stores. It is often kept near tofu but you might have to ask someone if this is your first time buying this ingredient. Whether you are a meatless eater or not, you will enjoy this alternative to this classic dish.
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 Carrots diced
- 4 stalks Celery diced
- 3 cups Spinach roughly chopped
- 8 cups Veggie Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 can Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 8 oz Whole Wheat Pasta - macaroni
- 2 tbsp White Miso Paste
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, add onion, garlic, carrots and celery with a couple tbsp of water. Cook until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Once veggies are soft, add turmeric and stir for 30 seconds. Next, add veggie broth and bay leaf. Turn up heat, bring broth to a low boil. Once at a low boil, add in pasta.
- When pasta is almost cooked, add chickpeas, miso, and nutritional yeast.
- Once pasta is tender, turn off the heat and stir in spinach until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Note: To try a different variation, use Orzo instead of pasta. You could also use white beans instead of chickpeas.