Plant Based Lentil Tacos with Mexican Cabbage Slaw
This recipe comes from the Lifestyle Medicine Clinic where I work as a Registered Nurse and Health Coach. When patients join our clinic, they are given a one week plant based meal plan that includes these tacos. This recipe is a patient favorite and becomes a go-to in many homes.The majority of patients that we see in clinic are new to the concept of plant based eating and I am constantly amazed with feedback I receive on this recipe. The flavor of these tacos and the ease of this recipe has helped so many people gain confidence in the kitchen while making food that they love.If you are looking for a recipe to make for friends and family who aren't plant based eaters, you can stop now because you just found your go-to recipe.I jazzed up this recipe by adding in the cabbage slaw. You can make this with or without the cabbage slaw and it will still be crowd pleasing. This recipe works great for meal prep! You can use the lentil filling for tacos, taco salads or burritos. If you are cooking plant based on a budget, you can find comfort in the affordability of this recipe.Enjoy!
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 2 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 cup Green Lentils
- 12 Corn Tortillas
Mexican Cabbage Slaw
- 1 half Head of Green or Purple Cabbage finely chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper Sliced thin choose any color of bell pepper
- 1 White Onion sliced into thin strips
- 2 large Carrots peeled and shredded
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup Lime Juice
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook onion in a couple tbsp of water for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add seasoning (chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, dried oregano, paprika, salt and pepper) and green lentils. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth to skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer until the green lentils are soft, 20-25 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, make your cabbage slaw if using.
- Once lentils are soft, lightly mash them so you have a combination of soft and crunchy textures. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the tortillas with the green lentils and cabbage slaw, or toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
Mexican Cabbage Slaw
- Make the slaw while the lentils are cooking.
- First, add all of the vegetables to a large bowl. Add the seasonings and toss to coat.
- Cover and put the slaw in the refrigerator while lentils are cooking.
- Stir again before serving.
- Add slaw to your tacos or serve as a side dish.