Roasted Poblano Pepper and White Bean Chili
This is a simple and healthy plant based chili recipe. It is dairy free and nut free yet packed with flavor. I've used mashed white beans to give this chili a creamy texture, upping the protein and reducing the fat. Make this on a Sunday and have it for lunch all week. This recipe is simple, no fancy ingredients, and I get right to the point. No ads or boring stories to read, forcing you to scroll scroll scroll to finally get to where you want to be. And on that note...Enjoy!
- 3 Poblano Pepper
- 1 Large Onion diced
- 1 Bell Pepper diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Coriander
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 4 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cans Cannellini Beans drained, rinsed and divided (white beans)
- 1/2 cup Pickled Jalapenos from a can
- 2 tbsp Pickled Jalapeno liquid
- 1 cup Frozen or Canned Corn
- 3 cups Baby Spinach
- 1/2 cup Non-Dairy Milk of Choice. Unsweetened
- 2 Limes. Juice of 2 Limes
- Begin by roasting the poblano peppers. You can do this over an open flame on your stove. Place the peppers on your burners. Using a tongs, turn them ever 30 seconds until all sides are blistered and blackened. You could also place them on a baking sheet and put them in the broiler for 4-5 minutes, until charred. Once peppers are blistered and blacked, place them in a bowl and cover. Allow to steam for at least 10 minutes. Then, remove stems, seeds and skins. Diced up the peppers and set aside.
- In a large pot, add onion and bell pepper with a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes, adding in a tbsp or two of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Next, add the spices and garlic and cook for a minute, until fragrant. Then, add the roasted poblano peppers, broth and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce down to a simmer.
- Add half of the beans, the jalapenos and their liquid.
- With the remaining beans, mash them with a fork and then add them to the pot.
- Return the mixture to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add the corn, spinach, milk and lime juice. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.