This recipe was created accidentally… aren’t those the best?! I was making mashed potatoes and realized that I had run out of milk. How was I going to make creamy mashed potatoes without any type of cream. And then it dawned on me, “Why not use cashew cream?”
I’ve been using cashews to make cream for soups and to make creamy cheese sauces, why not use cashew cream to make creamy mashed potatoes?
End result… crazy creamy mashed potatoes! I know you’re going to love these. These work great when paired with my Creamy Vegan Mushroom Gravy.
Crazy Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Cashews
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Begin by putting cashews and water in a blender and set aside.
- Next, chop your potatoes into chunks, add to a large pot and fill with water until potatoes are covered. Put pot on stove and boil potatoes until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While your potatoes are boiling, put unpeeled garlic in a heavy skillet over high heat. Turn every now and then, until peel starts to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside an allow to cool before removing the peel and mincing.
- To make the cashew cream, blend the cashews, water and nutritional yeast until creamy, about 1-2 minutes, depending on your blender.
- When the potatoes are done, drain. Then place them in a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher until they have reached your desired texture. Add the cashew cream and minced garlic and stir until smooth and evenly mixed.