Slow Cooker Navy Bean and Bulgar Chili
Meatless chili is so easy to make and this one is a sure crowd pleaser with it's creamy and meaty texture. This is an overnight slow cooker recipe that gets some great flavor from the soy sauce and dried shitake mushrooms. Throw your ingredients in the slow cooker before you go to work or throw the ingredients in the slow cooker before you go to bed. Either way, you just found yourself an easy chili recipe that you'll be making over and over again.
- 2 Yellow Onions finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp Water
- 4 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 pound Dried Navy Beans picked over and rinsed
- 3 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/2 oz Dried Shitake Mushrooms rinsed and minced
- 2/3 cup Bulgar rinsed
- Red Onion minced
- Avocado diced
- Cilantro minced
- Green onion diced
- Put yellow onion, chili powder, tomato paste, water, oregano, cumin, and salt in a microwave safe bowl. Put in microwave for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Stir in beans, 9 cups of water, soy sauce and mushrooms. Cover and cook on high for 8-10 hours, until beans are tender.
- Put bulgar and 2 cups of water in a microwave safe bowl. Cover the bowl and cook the bulgar in the microwave and cook for about 5 minutes, until bulgar is softened.
- Drain the bulgar and stir into the chili.
- Cover the chili and cook on high, until bulgar is tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add more water to the chili if needed and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with optional toppings of red onion, green onions, cilantro or avocado.