The Very Best Beefless Stew
This hearty plant based stew uses portobello mushrooms instead of beef, adding a rich and meaty texture to this classic dish. It's hard to turn down comfort food and that is why this dish is one of the very best ways to feel cozy with a meal. This recipe is easy to make and uses cheap ingredients. It's great for meal prep and can easily be made mid-week.
- 1 large Onion Chopped
- 2 medium Carrots Chopped
- 2 medium Celery Stalks Chopped
- 1 lb Portobello Mushrooms Chopped can sub with Crimini Mushrooms
- 6 cloves Garlic Minced
- 5 cups Water Veggie Broth
- 2 lbs Red Potatoes cut into 1 to 2 inch chunks
- 1/3 cup Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary Chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Frozen Peas
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke Optional
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley Chopped
- In a Dutch oven over medium high heat, cook onions, carrots and celery in 1 tbsp water for 8 minutes, stirring frequently and adding an additional 1-2 tbsp of water as needed to prevent sticking. Stir in mushrooms and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir frequently and add water as needed.
- Stir in potatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, paprika, rosemary, and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in peas and cook for another 5 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer 2 cups of the mixture to a blender. Blend until smooth and return mixture to Dutch oven. Stir to combine.
- Remove pot from the heat and stir in parsley, salt, pepper and liquid smoke if using.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.