This is my go to vegan plant based Mac and Cheese Sauce. I often use the leftovers as a Nacho Cheese Dip. I love this recipe because it is easy, requires minimal ingredients and minimal time. Another win win in my book. Enjoy!
Vegan Mac and Cheese Sauce
- 2 Cups Russet Potatoes peeled
- 1 Cup Carrots
- 1/4 Red Onion
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper Optional
- 1/4 Cup Raw Cashews Soaked Optional
- 1 Tsp Braggs Liquid Aminos Optional
- If using cashews, chop them up finely and soak them right away.
- Peel potatoes. Dice potatoes, carrots and onion. Boil them in the 2 cups of water until soft.
- Once potatoes and carrots are soft, add the mixture to a blender and allow to cool.
- Add all the remaining ingredients into blender. If using cashews, drain those and add to blender at this time. Blend until cheese is extremely smooth. This cheese can be stored in a refrigerator for up to a week.
Watch the instruction video for this Potato Carrot Mac and Cheese Sauce here: https://youtu.be/5U-bX2qszfY
Hello! I wanted to see if I could substitute cashew milk for the part where raw cashews are called for? I can’t wait to try a couple of your recipes.
I am a “new” vegan and trying to find some recipes that my family will enjoy.
Thank you ??
Hi Angie, great question! I wouldn’t use cashew milk. I think the milk would make the sauce too thin. Some nut based milks also taste a little sweet, even the unsweetened milks. I think this would take away from the flavor and consistency of the sauce. You can also make the sauce without cashews. It is great both ways. Enjoy!