This is a simple, healthy and delicious plant based sweet potato and black bean vegan quesadilla. This recipe will make 4-5 quesadillas.
The preparation includes baking a sweet potato and cooking brown rice. I like to make extra potatoes and rice to use throughout the week. This mixture also works great for a burrito or burrito bowl if you want to use the leftovers to bring to work as a lunch the next day.
It’s a versatile combination that is easy, requires minimal ingredients, and most importantly, it tastes amazing! Enjoy!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Vegan Quesadilla
- 1 Sweet Potato Baked
- 1 Cup Cooked Brown Rice
- 1 Cup Kale Chopped
- 1 Cup Salsa
- 1/2 Can Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 Can Refried Beans
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Jalapeno Diced
- Sprinkle Nutritional Yeast
- 8 Whole Wheat Tortilla Wraps
- Begin by pre-heating oven to 425 degrees. Once pre-heated, bake sweet potato for 45-50 minutes.
- While potato is baking, cook rice according to instructions on package.
- Once the potato is done baking, remove the skins and add the potato to a mixing bowl with the rice, salsa and kale. Mash these ingredients together with a potato masher.
- Put sweet potato and rice mixture into a sauce pan over medium heat. Add black beans, refried beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and onion powder to the mixture and mix until heated through.
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat. Place a tortilla on frying pan and slather with potato, rice and bean mixture. Top with jalapenos and sprinkle with desired amount of nutritional yeast. Place another tortilla on top and press down with spatula.
- Cook for 3 minutes and then flip quesadilla and cook on other side for another 3 minutes.
- Cut into desired number of sections and serve with salsa, avocado creme, or this easy vegan nacho cheese sauce.
- Make sure to take a picture and tag me so I can see your beautiful meal!