A B.L.T used to be one of my favorite sandwiches as a kid. I always loved the smokey and salty flavor from the bacon.There are many vegan brands that now make fake bacon but I’m not much of a fake meat person so, I went on a mission to create a plant based bacon that would satisfy my craving for this smokey and salty flavor that I missed.
This recipe uses liquid smoke to give it that smokey flavor, there is soy sauce which gives it the salty flavor, and there’s also maple syrup to make it a little sweet and to help the flavor stick to the mushrooms.
You could use this in a sandwich to make a B.L.T or you could add the vegan mushroom bacon to a salad. This mushroom bacon pairs perfectly with this ranch dressing which you could put on your toast or drizzle on the salad.
This my friends, is really really good. There are minimal ingredients, it takes minimal time, and it’s delicious.
If you make this into a salad, use some red leaf lettuce or romaine, tomatoes and cucumbers. If using this in a B.L.T, all you need is some toast, lettuce and tomatoes.
Oil Free Mushroom Bacon
- 1 Large Portobello Mushroom
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash and dry your mushroom. Cut into thin strips, no ticker than 1/4 inch, and remove stem.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients into a bowl and mix. Add the marinate mixture to the mushroom and allow to marinate on both sides, for about 15 minutes per side.
- Heat pan on medium high heat. Add a couple tbsp of water to pan. Add mushrooms along with marinate to pan. Cook on each side for 3 minutes, until browned and starting to crisp.
- Add to a salad to use for a B.L.T sandwich.